Sunday 27 October 2013

M.A-M.A English 2nd Year AMERICAN LITERATURE (Acharya Nagarjuna University (ANU), Guntur, Andhra Pradesh-2012)

M.A. (Final) DEGREE EXAMINATION, MAY 2012.
Second Year
ENGLISH
Paper II — AMERICAN LITERATURE
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Question No. 1 compulsory.
Answer any TWO question from Unit II and Two from Unit III.
All questions carry equal marks.
UNIT I
1. Annotate any FOUR of the following:
(a) He call'd on his mate,
He hour's forth the meanings which I of all
men know.
(b) Dark mother always gliding near with soft
fret,
Have none chanted for ther a chant of fullest
welcome?
(c) My words are nearly always an offence
I don't know how to speak of anything
So as to please you.
(d) Then he flung outward, feet first, with a
swish,
Kicking his way down through the air to the
ground
So was I once my self a swinger of birches.
(e) It came to him short-lived actions; it
Went out his immortal thoughts.
(f) In learn immediately from any speaker
how much he has already lived, through
the hoverly or the splenor of his speech.
(g) I just control it, that's all. I think I got
less bashful and you got more so. What
happened, Biff? Where's the old humour,
the old confidence? (h) I' be always made a point of not wasting
my life, and every time I come baclk
here I know that all I'he done is to waste
my life.
UNIT II
2. What according to Emerson are the duties of the American scholar? Discuss.
3. Write an essay on the use of nature in the poems of Robert Frost.
4. Examine walt whitman as a symbolist poet.
5. Discus Miller's Death of a salesman as a family drama.
6. Comment on the influence of realism on American writers.
UNIT III
7. Write an essay on the concept of self-reliance in Thoreau's Walden.
8. Discuss the theme of love as portrayed in emily Dickinson's poems prescribed.
9. Critically examine the structure of Hemingway's The old Man and the Sea.
10. Comment on the main theme in 'The Raven'.
11. Consider The Hairy Ape as a social satire.
12. Write short notes on any FOUR of the following.
(a) Trascendentalism
(b) Central theme in Moaby Dick.
(c) Plastic theatre of Tennessee Gullians.
(d) Protagomist in the Assistant.
(e) Use of expressionism in American Drama .
(f) 'American Dream' in Miller
(g) Sense of Belongingness as a theme.
(h) Use of Imagery in American poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment